Thursday, January 31, 2013

Burger's first tram ride...

Not sure where to start this blog, as we are three weeks into actually living in Poland and three months into the process of getting here.  I have decided the best place to start is in current events and as I have time I will fill in the gaps of how we got here.  

The most notable experience of late was this past weekend.  We FINALLY took Burger on his first tram ride.  This may not seem like a big deal to most, but Burger has been asking (repeatedly, like only a 3 year can do lol) to go on a tram since our "look see trip" in October (three months ago).  While we were on the "look see" visit, I brazenly thought I would figure this tram business out and get this boy on... No Problem!  I stepped up to the ticket kiosk and quickly realized that the entire thing was in Polish.  Knowing excuse me, please and thank you in Polish weren't going to help me now.  Needless to say, he never rode that tram and we haven't stopped hearing about it, ha!


Last week our move liaison showed me the tram ropes and I built some confidence.  I even worked out the tram schedules to ride the tram alone the following day (Woohoo!).  The weekend came and we were looking for something to do on Sunday so I thought, "I've figured out this tram thing, we should get Burger on a tram!"  I hatched a plan to jump on by the grocery store and head to the mall.  We would be on the tram for only two stops but at least Burger would experience it, right?  I looked up the tram schedules and off we went.  Everything was going as planned until we got to the tram platform and Burger watched a tram pull away.  
Burger: "Why is our tram leaving?  We missed the tram! Awww, now we won't be able to ride the tram (dejected)... the trams cancelled."  
I explained to Burger that was not our tram, we didn't miss it, and another one would be coming any minute.  Brad jumps in, "Yep buddy the next one will be ours I know it!"  Burger perks up.  I look at Brad and under my breath I say, "Why did you say that?  Look at the tram sign... about 6 different trams stop here.  The next one may not be ours."  Brad replies, "Well they are all heading north right?  And the mall is only two stops up so I bet they ALL stop at the mall."  I don't know... sounds logical to me and I am feeling pretty confident in my tram riding at this point (having ridden ONE TIME by myself) so I say, "SURE!"  Next tram pulls up and as luck would have it, it is number two (we should be getting on six) and ON WE GO!  

Burger is ecstatic!  We validate our tickets and find a spot out of the way in the front of the tram.  First stop comes... people on, people off and we can see the mall.  Doors close.    "Ok, guys get ready the next stop is ours."  Tram is trundling down the road.  There is the mall right in front of us and we make a sudden turn RIGHT instead of heading north.  I look at Brad, "That can't be good." (lol)  We head about three city blocks in the wrong direction and finally stop.  Brad says, "These trams all run in a circuit right?" I don't know... sounds logical to me so I reply again, "SURE!"  We decide to stay on because this tram has to double back sooner or later.  Right???              


Now at this point I figure we are on this thing for the full 30 minute duration (that is how long our ticket is good for), so I get my phone out to get a picture of Burger and his first tram ride.  For those that originally saw this picture on FB... now you know what was "really" going on in this shot and why I look like I have snapped lol.  Keep in mind that everyone on the tram, clear to the back, can see us up in the front taking pictures. Also, those around us know we are not speaking Polish.  (Neon sign blinking over our heads says "FOREIGNERS")

After this picture was taken I turned my GPS on to see if we had doubled back yet.  We have not only NOT doubled back anywhere, but we are so far east there is no way of jumping ship and walking back.  We decide to do the next best thing... stay on and see what happens hahaha.  

About five to seven stops later the tram slows once again.  Everyone stands up to get off, but we are in the front facing forward so this detail is lost on us. We are watching people leave and this little old lady with a big smile looks at me and says what I can only guess is, "Jest to ostatni przystanek. Musisz dostać się tutaj."  I smile back and nod because that is what I do... even though I haven't a CLUE what she just said LOL!  

The doors close and it is just us.  The tram starts to move and I glance out the window at the people that just got off and have now turned to ALL STARE at us with looks of bewilderment.  Brad turns to me and says, "I don't think this tram is going to double back.... hahaha.  I think it is actually done for the day!  What did that little old lady say to you?"  I look at him and reply, "I am pretty sure she said we have to get off" and then I start laughing uncontrollably.  The tram stops suddenly and the door to the driver opens.  She looks back at us as she has just realized we are STILL THERE.  She is shaking her head at us and laughing too.  She pushes the "open door button" for us and says something in Polish to which we reply with the only reply we have... "Przepraszam. Dziękuję.  (We're sorry.  Thank you.)" and we get off.  The tram pulls off to the tram sheds and is done.


Now we have absolutely NO IDEA where we are, we have a small child with us so we are not getting too far on foot, and we don't have a plan.  We can't call for a taxi because we don't know any numbers for taxi companies and we don't speak good enough Polish to get through that conversation even if we had a number.  

As luck would have it, about a half a block up, there sits a taxi!  We muddle through some Polish, hop in and a 30 min drive back to the mall we go.  Burger got every penny worth of his first tram ride.  He still to this day does not know riding the tram to the middle of nowhere was not part of our plan.  To him we are super cool and we figured out how to ride the tram just so he could get a turn.  :-P      

1 comment:

  1. you should know by now, to NOT EVER listen to BRAD!!! LOL, very cute!

    ReplyDelete